Coordinates : 40°30'N 47°30'E
Land area : Total 86,600km²
Land Boundaries : Total 2,013km
Coastline : Caspian Sea 800kms
Elevation : Caspian Sea -28 mtrs, Bazarduzu Dagi: 4,485 mtrs
Capital city: Baku
Baku is the capital of the Republic of Azerbaijan. It is a large scientific, cultural and industrial center. Ancient foundations, a large area and population all make Baku one of the oldest and largest cities in the East.
People have lived and founded their settlements in Baku city and the Absheron peninsula since ancient times.
This was motivated by continuous migrations from north to south and from west to east due to the physical and geographical conditions, a favorable location in the center of trade routes that crossed Silk Road, climatic conditions, production of petroleum fuel in ancient times and the availability of large power resources.
Baku was first mentioned in the Book of the Dead by the Egyptian Pharaoh Minesan in 3,500 BC. The ancient age of Baku is also evidenced by stone carvings dating back to 12,000 years ago and archeological excavations. Another important piece of evidence is a stone carving by August Guy Octavio, who reflected the stationing of a military camp under the rule of the Roman emperors Pompey and Lucius near Baku (40 km to the south) for the purposes of seizing the southern Caucasus in the 1st century BC. This means that Baku is nearly 5,500 years old.
Baku was one of the main cities in the Shirvanshakhs State in the 12th century, in the Sefevids State in the 14th century, in the Ottoman Empire in the 16th century, and became the capital of the Baku khanate in the 17th century.
Baku is situated on the shore of the Caspian Sea in the south of the Absheron peninsula. It covers an area of 2,200 square km and has a population of 2 million. Nearly 500,000 refugees from Armenia as well as IDPs from the occupied territories, currently reside in Baku.
Baku has 11 administrative districts and 5 settlements.
The foreign relations maintained by the executive authorities of Baku are based on the principles of foreign relations, which were developed by the national leader Heydar Aliyev in 1993. The main fields of activity are as follows:
• Maintenance of the relations with twin and partner cities;
Baku is a member of the World Twin City Federation since 1978:
Baku is a twin city with:
Dakar (Senegal), Izmir (Turkey), Naples (Italy), Tebriz (Iran), Houston (USA), Basra (Iraq), Sarajevo (Bosnia and Herzegovina), Vungmau-Kondao (Vietnam).
The partner cities are:
Baku also has maintained close ties with Paris, Istanbul, Vienna, Cendu and Karamay (China), Moscow, St. Petersburg, Tbilisi, Kiev, Minsk, Volgograd, Ulyanovsk, Astana and Tashkent.
There are the Dakar square, Naples and Sarajevo streets in Baku.
Dakar has the Baku square; Naples has the Baku street and there is a Baku hotel in Vungtau-Kondao.
• Mastering and application of advanced experiences in city management and city infrastructure of foreign countries;
• Assistance to embassies of the foreign countries in finding offices, maintaining the relations with diplomatic corps and provision of public utility services;
• Coordination of the membership and participation of Baku in the International organizations.
Baku is a member of the following organizations :
-The World Twin City Federation
-The World Organization of Heritage Cities
-The World Organization of Energy Cities
-The International Institute "Avrograd"
-The Union of the Capitals of the Black Sea Economic Cooperation Organization member-states
• Encouragement of foreign investments into the city projects;
• Assistance in mutual introduction with the cities of foreign countries;
• Organization of the mutual "Days of Culture", festivals and other activities; the establishment of representative delegations, exhibitions, creative delegations, mass media, educational exchange centers;
• Cooperation with the world cities on the basis of bilateral agreements and programs;
• The arrangement of the organizational and protocol programs of foreign visitors to Baku;
• Organization of Baku tours for foreign delegations.